kruizing with kikukat

Monday, March 7, 2016

Coconut Milk Rolled Biscuits

I've been having some really disappointing cooking days.  I just haven't been in the mood to cook much of anything.  I try to force myself to cook at least 3x/week, but even that is a stretch.  We've been getting by with a lot of "breakfast for dinner" kinds of dinners.

One thing good about having breakfast for dinner is the leftovers make good breakfast food (duuuhhhhhhh).  The other week we had waffles, and we were blessed with waffles for breakfast for the better part of the week.

Our breakfast food de la semaine is biscuits.  I made a bunch of them last night to start our week on the right foot.

Recently, I've been making baked goods with coconut milk. D2 has a thing for coconut milk so I've been buying Silk coconut milk whenever I go to Costco (they sell the double pack).  She doesn't like to eat coconut, except in shortbread cookies, but she loves the flavor of coconut.  Do you know someone like that?  Coconut milk adds just a hint of coconut flavor, and it seems to pair well with jams, jellies, and honey.  If you have a precious jar of special honey, eating it on one of these biscuits would be a great way to enjoy it.

Thanks to my boss, I can get local honey delivered directly to me.  This past week, he gave me a generous jar of honey for "all the help".  He said the honey was "Volcano honey", meaning it came from his hives in the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park area.  In that areas, bees source nectar primarily from the ohia lehua blossom (found only in Hawaii).  Pure ohia lehua honey is white (due to crystallization), and makes a great Big Island souvenir.  It's definitely not the cheapest honey, but it is a special treat.

This coming week (or the week after that, for that matter) will likely not be the week my cooking activities return.  Boys volleyball season began last week so I will probably scrounge dinner at athletic concessions on game nights.  Last season, I must've eaten close to a dozen bowls of smoked meat and onion!  Not grumbling at all.  I wonder what kinds of goodies will be sold this year.

If I had more gumption/energy, this would actually be an excellent week to cook all kinds of things.  Miss Picky (D2) went on an early vacation with Mr. Dependable.  They went to take advantage of spring skiing in the Sierra Nevadas.  D1, who is on spring break (legitimate), met them in Reno.  I always shake my head at how large the Ds live. 

click on recipe title for printable recipe

     2 c flour
     2 tbsp sugar
     4 tsp baking powder
     3/4 tsp salt
     1/3 c butter
     2/3 c cold coconut milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.  Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut butter into flour mixture until pea-size particles form.  Stir in coconut milk.  If mixture is dry, add up to 2 tbsp more coconut milk until dough holds together.  Turn dough onto floured board.  Pat into a 1"-thick slab.  Cut with a 2" biscuit cutter and place on prepared baking sheet.  Bake 13-14 minutes or until just starting to brown.  Remove from oven, cool slightly on wire rack before eating.

where did all the time go. . .





No comments:

Post a Comment