kruizing with kikukat

Monday, January 11, 2016

Roasted Broccoli

Returning to some degree of normalcy after the holidays is easier when there aren't lots of leftovers to deal with.  Furthermore, work has a way of jarring you back to reality.

Since returning to work, I'm back to preparing hydros and sandwiches in the morning.  I'm also back to cooking dinner.  Yuck.

My first day back at work was also D1's last evening in town, so we went out to dinner.  But by the second day back, I returned to the kitchen.

In spite of placing some kind of food on the table, I'm really not feeling in the mood to cook.  I miss D1, and for whatever reason, spending time in the kitchen is where I can't seem to really function.

The last meal I made that I really enjoyed making was prime rib.  I always use the same prime rib recipe, although I've been tempted to try other preparations with herbs and different seasonings.  One of The Help's friends asked him if we do the pre-seasoned meat from Costco.  We have never tried it, although LA said it's passable.

Anyway, getting back to the prime rib meal. . .I was never a fan of beef, but now, I love prime rib, especially when it's served with a fluffy, piping-hot baked potato.  I was never concerned with other side dishes, but recently, I've taken a liking to roasted vegetables.

Now, long after I had my cousins over for dinner, hindsight has the better of me.  I should have served roasted broccoli.  I served caprese tomatoes, but I think the broccoli would've been a better player with the prime rib au jus and the garlic butter.  Oh well, they'll just need to come back again to have the meal done right.

And I shouldn't have to wait until I cook another rib roast to have roasted broccoli.  Roasted broccoli is easy enough to make any time. Asparagus and cauliflower florets can be roasted using the same method, but asparagus will cook in just under half the time of the broccoli/cauliflower.

After all the other crap I ate over the vacation, I could use some roasted broccoli to get back into normal eating.  But, my God, that baked potato (below) sure looks delicious!

 click on recipe title for printable recipe

     2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
     3 tbsp EVOO
     sea salt
     black pepper
     3 tbsp parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line shallow pan with foil.  Spread broccoli on pan.  Pour on EVOO and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.  Toss so broccoli is coated with oil.  Spread broccoli in an even layer.  Roast for 20 minutes, tossing once or twice during cooking.  Remove from oven and sprinkle parmesan cheese over broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment