kruizing with kikukat

Monday, September 14, 2015

Tricks and Trix and Treats


D1 has been away for 34 days, and it will be another 90-or-so days before she returns, not that I'm counting or anything.

Again, I find myself going back to the time I went away to college.  There was no texting, no facetime. . .only long-distance calling.  My parents always welcomed my calls, no matter what time of day it was.  Now I know why.

I think it's becoming very apparent that I'm missing D1 more than she is missing me.  I think, or I'm convincing myself, that's a good thing.  She doesn't appear homesick.  Maybe she is just too busy.  I'm grateful she's kept her promise of sending me a picture a day.  I've noticed a preponderance of food (eating out food, not dorm food) in her pics.  She also told me she's discovered Starbucks.  WTF?  Starbucks has been in Hawaii for years.  Prior to leaving for college, the only drink she's ordered at Starbucks has been a hot cocoa.

Not like I haven't been busy either.  I made a ton of lemon bars for KikukatMom to distribute to her friends who wished her well after her surgery.  I made so many bars that I had to ask KikukatMom to come over and help me (if she can go shopping at Costco and Target, she can help me with lemon bars).

Even though it was only a 4-day work week, it felt like forever.  I had a hard time finding my balance this week.  I'd like to blame it on the lemon bars, but I know I'm also at fault.  A short week just throws my whole schedule into a tailspin.

Oh, nvm.  I remember now why the start of my week was so shaky.  sigMAX knows, and a big bear-hug shout out goes to him for holding my hand and suffering along with me.  Let's hope we won't need endure something like that for a while.

This weekend I went to a high school football game.  I also managed to get my hair cut.  And I finally got my cotton candy fix (It's county fair time in Hilo!).  I was planning to buy a bunch of Bradda Pops, some to send to D1 and some for D2 to snack on after school, but when I went to the Bradda Pop store, there was a sign saying the shop was closed and they'd be at the county fair.  Shit.  I knew I wasn't going to the fair so the Bradda Pops would need to wait for another month or so.  Had I known this last week, I would've sent D2 to search for the Bradda Pop booth. . .just like she did for my cotton candy.

So having had my line cut by Bradda Pops, I needed to find something else to pack in the box to send to D1.  I already had the box packed nicely and included goodies for her roommates.  It had to be something that might possibly get smashed a little but suffer no permanent harm.  While I was trying to decide, I came across some cereal in the pantry.  Taking a nostalgic trip within my mind, along with a real trip to the store to buy supplies, I spent Sunday in the kitchen.  D1 should be receiving some of these shortly. . .along with her UGGs.

click on recipe title for printable recipe

     1/4 c butter
     1 lb mini marshmallows*
     12 c Trix cereal*

Grease a 9 x 13" pan.  In a large pot, melt butter.  Add marshmallows.  Stir until melted.  Add Trix.  Mix until Trix is coated with marshmallow mixture.  Press into prepared pan using a plastic glove which has been sprayed with Pam (or greased).  Cool completely.  Cut into 24 pieces using a teflon or greased knife.

*I've noticed that marshmallows come in bags ranging from 10 oz to 1 lb.  If using a 10 oz bag, use 9 c of Trix.  Treats will be slightly shorter, but barely noticeable.

D2 had a function at her school a few years ago, and there was a request for dessert.  I hemmed and hawwed about what to make and then I remembered the box of Trix I bought (thinking 1 box wouldn't be enough).  I made Trix Treats for her to take, and it took me a moment to think about how I should package the treats.  In Hawaii, nothing can stay out long without getting soggy, so I knew I had to wrap each piece individually.  Not wanting to chance Mr. Dependable bringing home a pan for me, I decided to send the treats in the Trix box.  I was going to remove the entire front section of the box, but The Help suggested cutting only 3 sides so I would have a built-in lid.  He is soooo smart!



No comments:

Post a Comment