kruizing with kikukat

Monday, August 26, 2013

Ocean Somen Salad

I am looking forward to this coming weekend.  It will be an especially long weekend since teachers in my area have an articulation day on Friday to add on to the much-awaited Labor Day weekend.  The students in our district get to enjoy a good break.

My students will enjoy a break without me because I won't be at work on Thursday either.  I have a mandatory workshop to attend, so this will be the first time in years I will be calling a substitute.  As soon as I found out about the workshop, I called SM, one of my favorite subs from years ago, and asked him if he'd sub for me.  He accepted the assignment immediately, blue eyes twinkling.  My aide and students back then liked when he'd show up. . . and they'd always comment about his eyes.  I like him because he is a nice man and treats the students with respect.  I hope my students behave.  If they don't, I'll call in the witch man-ape to sub for me next time, and the kids will regret it.

This past weekend, I had lunch with Uncle E at Miyo's.  We got our food in record time!  The restaurant wasn't too crowded, so we were able to linger and chat.  I miss him and hope he will join me at work one day, like in about 4 years.  I suggested he come ASAP, but he said I am living his nightmare right now so he will hold off.  Shucks!

I am seeing signs now of summer coming to a close.  I went to Pahoa for dinner on Saturday (yes, the same day I had lunch at Miyo's with Uncle E) and I saw the yagura set up in the Japanese church parking lot.  I recall that the bon dance in Pahoa is one of the last ones of the season.  And this coming weekend will firmly shut the door on summer.  Labor Day here i the last "warm" holiday of the year.  Its the sad weekend when tarps in the beach area come down.  I really have no plans for the long weekend, but I'm sure some people will be doing picnics and potlucks.

If you are of the picnic and potluck set, consider making this salad to close out the summer.  Its light and refreshing and easy to pack.  While this salad usually gets piled in a large bowl with tongs sitting shotgun, it could easily be shoved into pre-seasoned aburage pouches like somen inari sushi.  Although the taste is slightly different, it would still be great.

click on recipe title for printable recipe

     8 oz dry somen noodles, broken in half
     1/2 carrot, slivered
     1/4-1/2 lb ocean salad
     1/2 block kamaboko, cut in strips
     3 tbsp rice vinegar
     2 tbsp sugar
     1/2 tsp salt
     3 tbsp vegetable oil

Combine rice vinegar, sugar and salt.  Stir until dissolved.  Add vegetable oil and set aside.  Cook somen noodles according to package directions.  Drain and rinse in cold water.  Drain well.  Stir dressing and pour over cool noodles.  Toss lightly.  Add carrot, ocean salad, and kamaboko.  Toss lightly.  Chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment