kruizing with kikukat

Monday, June 10, 2013

Curry Chicken Salad

Summer is now well underway.  D2 is in a summer program at her school, and D1 is doing an internship at the US Department of Agriculture (thank you, Aunty 3M).  D1 hasn't gone to her worksite yet, so I'm not sure what her hours will be and for how long.  D2's summer program ends before June ends, so I'm going to need to find something for her to do.  Maybe she can work on a guest blog post.

Yesterday, I plotted our schedule for the summer (D1, D2 & mine), and every weekday of the summer is encumbered with an activity/obligation for at least one of us.  I need to plan a trip to Honolulu for back-to-school shopping, and I'm fearful that we will run out of summer before we can go.  In spite of being so busy here, none of us are too distressed by the flurry of activity (but we all see the need to get to Honolulu).

I've gone to my new school site three times so far.  My room isn't ready yet, but I've been meeting with coworkers in developing pacing guides for our courses.  This is a totally new thing for me, so if you know anyone out there who is willing to share 9th and 12th grade English/Language Arts pacing guides aligned to the Common Core State Standards, then send them my way.  I will share a special recipe with them for their kindness.

A year ago (I went back and reread my post), I was lamenting/bitching about having to go in to work and feeling like all of it was a waste.  What a difference a year makes!  What a difference a job makes!  The High Commander is a fantastic person, and she could be even more effective.  I will miss her dearly, and I will never forget how well she treated me.

My new job site is NOT unfamiliar.  In fact, close to 2 decades ago, when I moved to Hilo from Honolulu, that was my place of employment!  I left to take a resource position with the state, and to escape a witch of an administrator (not a kama`aina and sooo detached from the faculty, students and staff. . .bless her heart).  Now that I'm going back, I feel like there is wind in my sails once again.  I'm excited, and that's likely the reason why I've been willingly giving up time during my break.

Like my new job. . ."if its a good thing, its worth repeating". . .this chicken salad recipe is also worth repeating.  The pictures here show it stuffed in a hollowed out tomato, but its equally great when used as a sandwich filling.

And speaking of tomato. . .last Thursday was gardening day at Summer Academy.  D2 said she pulled weeds and harvested vegetables.  At the end of the work session, she and her classmates shared the fruits of their labor with their families.  D2 brought home a cute beet and a cute tomato.  I added the beet (root and greens) into a pot of ribollita.  The tomato made a Lilliputian* vessel for curry chicken salad.

click on recipe title for printable recipe

     3 c diced, cooked chicken breast (1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless breasts)
     1 tsp salt
     1/2 c chopped celery
     1 c chopped apple (fuji or honeycrisp)
     1 tsp grated onion
     1/4 tsp pepper
     1/4 c whipping cream
     1 c mayonnaise
     1/2 tsp curry powder

Place chicken, salt, celery, apple, onion and pepper in a mixing bowl.  Whisk together whipping cream, mayonnaise, and curry powder.  Pour over other ingredients and toss gently until well blended.  Chill for at least 2 hours.  Serve with mango chutney.

I'd like to congratulate D1 for making the cheerleading squad for the coming school year.  She got the great news on Friday.  Thirteen other girls and a boy will be joining her.  Congratulations go out to all of them!  I'm sure their parents are proud (and $300+ poorer).

Tryouts were a grueling 2 weeks, and D1 maintained perfect attendance.  She was marked down during her cheer audition in the cafeteria  for voice projection.  We are still trying to comprehend how she didn't get a perfect score for voice projection.  Could she have been TOO loud?




*My teaching line for the coming school year consists of 4 periods of 12th Grade Language Arts.  The literature focus for 12th graders is British Literature, so I'm trying to get into it.  I think Mrs. Tanabe (my senior English teacher) will freak when she finds out what I'm teaching!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment