kruizing with kikukat

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Roasted Asparagus

I was definitely old (over 35) when I began eating asparagus.  The Rents would eat it, usually sauteed in butter, but I was successful at avoiding it for a long time.  The first time I remember eating asparagus was actually a "biology" experiment.  I read in a magazine that eating it has a strange effect on a certain body fluid.  I had no idea what the article meant, as I had never eaten asparagus.

Since then, I've come to like asparagus.  Mom says there is an excellent asparagus recipe in one of the Sam Choy cookbooks.  Because she said that in the days before I was an asparagus eater, I have no idea which recipe she means, but I'm guessing there was some kind of black sesame seeds in it.  Oh well, when I'm feeling less lazy I'll look for the recipe and try it myself.

But for now, this is my current favorite way to eat asparagus.  This recipe uses FRESH asparagus, not that stuff in the can, which I'm not sure is even asparagus at all.



click on recipe title for printable recipe
Roasted Asparagus

     1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
     olive oil
     salt
     pepper
     2 tbsp butter
     1 tbsp shoyu
     1 tsp balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Arrange asparagus in a single layer on a low-rimmed baking sheet.  Coat with olive oil.  Be sure to get the tips too.  Season with salt and pepper.  Roast 12 minutes.  Melt butter in microwave.  Stir in shoyu and balsamic vinegar.  Pour over asparagus before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment