kruizing with kikukat

Monday, August 29, 2011

Salted Almost-Duck Eggs

I grew up less than 5 minutes away from Ainaola Store, a "mom and pop" store in Waiakea Uka.  Long before they started making laulau plates and serving up the best mango slush in the world, Ainaola Store was reknown for something else:  a jar perpetually filled with salted duck eggs.  I would go up to the cashier and say how many eggs I wanted. . .usually two, one for me and one for Mom.  The egg(s) would be plucked out of the jar and placed in a paper bag.  Then we'd go home so Mom could boil the eggs.  It seemed to take forever, and so much of the shell would stick to the white, but the taste of the egg was worth the wait.  The salty white and the grainy yolk.  Yummmmmmmm.

When I returned home from college, Mom's friend raised ducks, so we'd get eggs from her and pack them in brine.  While waiting for the salt to penetrate the eggs, I always thought about all the ono things I could make with the duck eggs.  It seemed like the eggs disappeared before too long . . . a boiled egg or two here and there. . .

Mom's friend no longer raises ducks, so I no longer have a source for duck eggs.  The salted duck eggs sold at Kilauea Market and Chinese restaurants are already cooked.  Inpired by a blogger friend, Hawaiian Pake in Okinawa, I decided to try salting chicken eggs (the supermarket variety).  I was surprised at how long it took for the salt to penetrate the yolk.  In spite of being smaller, the chicken eggs took longer to salt than the duck eggs from Aunty.

Once again, I'm finding myself thinking of all the things to make with the salted almost-duck eggs.  If you have any suggestions other than joong (I will eventually be posting about my joong adventure) or pork hash patty, please share.

click on recipe title for printable recipe
     3/4 c rock salt
     1 qt boiled water
     eggs, duck or chicken (large)

Dissolve salt in water.  Pour mixture into a glass jar with a tight lid.  Add eggs, making certain that all eggs are submerged in mixture.  Leave eggs in a dark, cool place at room temperature, 24 days for duck eggs or 33 days for store-bought large chicken eggs.  Remove from brine.  Store eggs in refrigerator and use as needed within a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment